Friday, June 10, 2011

A Smorgasbord of recent favorites

1.  Alstromerias.   (Had to Google how to spell that one.  I was waaaay off.)
Trader Joe's had them in an assorted bunch, so I've been enjoying the colors all week.  Sorry for the poor quality pic-- my camera phone leaves a bit to be desired.  But they are gorgeous.

2.  The game of soccer and my Frontline teammates.
It hasn't been a particularly spectacular season in the win category, but I really enjoy spending time with my teammates.  They are awesome folk who exemplify how to be competitive and be servants.  Last game Stu had an open goal (minus the goalie) and chose to pass me the ball.  I, of course, missed the open goal, but how many people do you know who would give up the glory for a teammate?


3.  Crazy Love by Francis Chan.
Some challenging quotes:

  • Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.
  • Both worry and stress reek of arrogance.  [ouch]
  • The irony is that while God doesn’t need us but still wants us, we desperately need God but don’t really want Him most of the time.

I keep reading and re-reading this book.  Good stuff.




4.  Starbucks
Grande iced hazelnut coffee with 2% milk.  Summer fix.  Ah.

5.  The neighborhood swimming pool. 
(No picture.  That would be weird).
It's open every day until 9.  Yesterday I waited until the sun went down and THEN went for a dip because it was 97 out.  When you go swimming at 7pm, there are no small, obnoxious children at the pool to contend with.  Win.

6.  Al Capone Shines My Shoes
This is the sequel to Al Capone Does My Shirts about a boy named Moose who grows up on Alcatraz while Al Capone is an inmate.  Never mind that it is written for middle schoolers-- it's a quick, fun read.  More on the summer reading list later and suggestions are always welcome!


2 comments:

Being Brittany said...

Iced Starbucks...my eyes seriously almost welled up with joy! I may have to try your drink of choice today :)

Susan said...

I love alstromeria!! I used them in my wedding :)