Thursday, September 8, 2011

Labor Day

This Sunday marked my third year Falls Churchiversary.  That is, it's been 3 years since I set foot in The Falls Church and found my NOVA church home.  Every Labor Day Weekend Sunday, the church has a fantastic tradition of highlighting our labors.  After the sermon, John Yates interviews a handful of people about their labor and how they see the Lord moving and working through them in their professions.  This year we heard from a big time political exec on Capitol Hill, a college ministry director, a lawyer, and a part-time doc/part-time mom.  All four shared lessons of what God had taught them about himself and how to love the people around them.

I left Sunday being reminded that my God does not fit into the hour and a half service on Sunday morning.  He doesn't fit into the 15 minutes I squeeze out for reading the Bible, or a prayer on the way to work.  He desires to be Lord over every minute of my day, not just the ones that I designate as God time.  Most of my day is spent in a school, teaching 4th graders and interacting with colleagues.  God wants to be there too.  What would my day look like if I invited God into all of those moments too?  How would I react to additional unwanted responsibilities or defiant kids?  How would I love my not so lovable colleagues or be a servant to those around me?

If I invite God in to those moments, I can't take the credit for my successes or good deeds.  My motive lies in bringing more honor to God because he is reflected to the world through us.  In closing his sermon John said, "Our works don't determine our salvation, but what kind of stewards of the Gospel we have been."  I want to arrive at heaven's door and hear "Well done good and faithful servant.  You lived your life in reflection of Me."

Yesterday I discovered a new song thanks to my sister Mollie.  It has been on repeat since.  I'm going to steal it and share it with you.


May the Words of My Mouth by Tim Hughes

May the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart
Bless Your name, bless Your name, Jesus
And the deeds of the day and the truth in my ways
Speak of You, speak of You, Jesus

For this is what I'm glad to do
It's time to live a life of love that pleases You
And I will give my all to You
Surrender everything I have and follow You
I'll follow You

Lord, will You be my vision, Lord, will You be my guide
Be my hope, be my light and the way
And I'll look not for riches, nor praises on earth
Only You'll be the first of my heart

I will follow
I will follow
I will follow You

No comments: